Thursday, March 13, 2008

Cellphone vs. Your Scriptures

My dear friend, Sybil, shared this cute little e-mail with me & I just had to pass it along.

CELL PHONE VS. YOUR SCRIPTURES
 
I wonder ……….
 
What would happen if we treated our scriptures like we treat our cell phone?
 
What if we carried it around in our purse or pocket?
What if we flipped through it several times a day?
What if we turned back to get it if we forgot it?
What if we used it to receive messages from the text?
What if we treated it like we couldn't live without it?
What if we gave it to kids as gifts?
What if we used it when we traveled?
What if we used it in case of emergency?

The giving it to kids as gifts in particular struck up a memory for me. When any of my Grandma Mary's grandchildren turned 8, she would give us a beautiful white set of scriptures with our name embossed on the front in gold. It was the most wonderful gift & I still have mine to this day! It's a little whiter now than it was yesterday because when I read this e-mail, it prompted me to go get it off the shelf & clean it off. Thank goodness for Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I had stopped using those scriptures when I got older because it seemed such a precious gift I didn't want to use it so much it started to wear down. I think the next time I have the opportunity to give my children a special gift, it will be this.

3 comments:

Chandi said...

My Grandmother gave me a Book of Mormon when I turned 8 as well. She wrote a message to me on the inside including her testimony. I still have it. In college my roommates bought me a new one because the one from Grandma was falling apart, but I still use it. I love having something special from her.

Bond Fam said...

I still have my Book of Mormon from Grandma and Grandpa too! It is one of my most prized possessions, especially, after she died it was so special for me to have something she had written in. I especially love it because it is the copy that I always used growing up, and so it is marked up with all of my thoughts and feelings that I learned as I read the scriptures throughout my young life!

Brenda said...

Thank you for posting this on your blog! I received it in an email from my aunt about a year ago, but it's been deleted since then. I googled a few key words, and found it here. I wanted to use it to start a discussion with our youth at our Youth Conference.
Thanks again!